ALL KINDS OF FAST
Developing the Zipp 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Bicycle Wheel was much more complex than merely adding clincher sidewalls to the 808 Tubular or increasing the depth of the 404 Firecrest Carbon Clincher. Optimizing the revolutionary Firecrest aero-rim concept for an 82 mm depth and the distinct airflow pattern of clincher tires required a slew of fluid dynamics and wind tunnel research and analysis. At 27.5 mm wide, the final version is the fastest deep-section carbon clincher in the world. Yet, with a weight of only 1,795 grams per wheelset, it more than holds its own on the climbs. For triathletes and road racers seeking superior aero performance, stable handling, and the convenience of clinchers, there’s no faster all-around wheel than the Zipp 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher.
- Firecrest – With Firecrest’s unparalleled approach to the wheel’s center of pressure, the 808 Firecrest Carbon Clincher handles crosswinds with the stability you’d normally associate with a much shallower rim – making the 808 Carbon Clincher ideal for non-disc-legal courses like Kona. Plus, the wide rim shape provides efficient power transfer along with comfort and durability, making it an excellent choice for just about any terrain and riding style.
- Carbon Clincher – Zipp’s exclusive resin, based on materials used in motorsports braking systems, effectively tolerates the incredible spikes in heat caused by braking to provide you with reliability and stopping power.
- ABLC™ - Advanced Boundary Layer Control (ABLC) refers to the patented and instantly recognizable dimpled pattern found on all of Zipp’s carbon rims. ABLC smoothes airflow across the rim's surface and is tailored to every model. The third-generation of ABLC has up to four times more dimples than before.
- VCLC™ - Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control uses a vibration-absorbing material sandwiched between layers of rigid carbon laminate in the rim. When the wheel receives an impact from the road, much of the shock is absorbed by the VCLC system, delivering a 10% reduction in vibration.
- New 188/V9 Rear Hub - The latest iteration of Zipp’s 188 rear hub, the V9, was developed in cooperation with superstar sprinter Mark Cavendish to optimize the hub’s flange geometry, stiffness and weight. Larger precision Swiss steel bearings and a 25% increase in torsional stiffness mean improved direct power transfer to the rear wheel for out-of-the saddle sprints and climbs.
- New Spoke Lacing Pattern – Zipp’s new “virtual 3 cross” lacing on both sides of the rear wheel improves stiffness, achieving 3 cross stiffness in a 2 cross pattern with a new spoke geometry.
- Wire EDM - Electron Discharge Machining allows Zipp to cut the materials for their rear hub drive internals after they’ve been hardened through heat treating, negating the warping and imprecision caused by the heat-treating process.
- Steel Bearings - Zipp ball bearings are specified to 10 millionths of an inch tolerance, guaranteeing that they are at least 2.5 times rounder and better matched than most company’s “high precision” balls, and more than five times tighter than most “precision” balls. The result? A superior level of bearing smoothness and long life.
- Rim decals are borderless, thinner and lighter
- Color: Matte Black Decals
- Compatibility: 11-speed
- Max Recommended Rider Weight: 250 lbs
- Wheel Weight: 980 g
- Hub Used: 188/V9 Rear Hub
- Rim Depth: 82 mm
- Brake Track Width (center): 24.73 mm
- Max Width: 27.5 mm
- Clincher Bead Width: 16.25 mm
- Spoke Count: 24
- Spoke Pattern: 2 cross (Non-Drive), 2 cross (Drive)
- Spoke Length: 230 mm (Non-Drive), 228 mm (Drive)
- Max Tire Pressure: 125 psi / 8.62 bars
- Track Adaptable: No
- Dimpled Surface: Yes
- Ceramic Bearing: After-market
- External Nipples: Yes
RECOMMENDED AND APPROVED BRAKE PADS
These brake pads have been tested and approved for use with Zipp Carbon Clincher wheels. Having the wrong pads, or worn pads, can be dangerous and potentially void your wheel’s warranty.
- Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro Evo Brake Pad
- Zipp Tangente High Performance Cork Brake Pad
- Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro (first version Tangente pad)
- SwissStop® Black Prince pad
- Bontrager cork pads
- Zipp carbon/carbon pads
- SwissStop® yellow pads
Note: This wheel is not tubeless compatible. Use 20mm rim tape with this wheel.