The 303 has been completely redesigned with Firecrest® shaping. The Carbon Clincher preserves the aerodynamic advantages of its tubular brother, while adding the convenience of a clincher tire. And at just 1540g/wheelset, it's light enough to climb up the steepest gradients with ease. In addition, Firecrest moves the center of pressure of the wheel backwards, giving the 45 mm-deep rim the crosswind stability a box-section rim. At the same time, the 26.4 mm-wide brake track (at center) allows the clincher tire to take on a wider, more stable shape without compromising rolling resistance. It's faster, simpler, and more stable.
The new Zipp 303 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Bicycle Wheel retains all the small details that make Zipp wheels what they are. Exposed spoke nipples sit in the aerodynamic shadow of the rims, keeping serviceability simple without compromising speed. The signature ABLC™ rim dimples squeeze every last second of performance possible. To complete the package, Zipp has refined its venerable 88/188 hubset, reshaping the hub body and pushing the non-drive-side flange and bearing out by 7.5 mm on the rear hub to increase overall stiffness and strength.
- Firecrest - With the new proprietary Firecrest rim shape in Zipp's 202, 303, 404 and 808 Firecrest wheels, Zipp wheels make a bigger difference in more ways than ever. Not only is Firecrest more aerodynamic than any other rim design, it improves handling in crosswinds and overall ride quality.
- Carbon Clincher - The superior Carbon Clincher technology is the culmination of two years of intensive prototyping and testing. Zipp worked with their composites supplier to develop an exclusive heat-resistant resin based on the materials used in motorsports brake systems. This proprietary technology improves heat management so substantially that all Zipp Carbon Clinchers pass stringent CEN safety standards.
- ABLC™ (Aerodynamic Boundary Layer Control) - Advanced Boundary Layer Control (ABLC) refers to the patented and instantly recognizable dimpled pattern found on all of our carbon rims. ABLC smoothes airflow across the rim's surface and is tailored to every model from the 202 to the Super-9 Disc. The third-generation of ABLC has up to four times more dimples than before.
- VCLC™ (Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control) - Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control (VCLC) uses a vibration-absorbing material sandwiched between layers of rigid carbon laminate in the rim. When the wheel receives an impact from the road, much of the shock is absorbed by the VCLC system, delivering a 10% reduction in vibration.
- 88/188 Hub Technology - Every aspect of our 88 and 188 hubs sets a new benchmark. The standard steel bearings are the roundest in the industry. The 17mm axle is the stiffest of any road hub that's been tested. The wire EDM-cut hub internals are the most precise. When it comes to precision and performance, there's really no comparison.
- Wire EDM - Electron Discharge Machining allows us to cut the materials for our rear hub drive internals after they've been hardened through heat treating, negating the warping and imprecision caused by the heat-treating process.
- Steel Bearings - Zipp is the only company specifying Swiss made highly specialized ball bearing cartridges. Working with a family owned Swiss bearing manufacturer, Zipp is able to attain a superior level of bearing smoothness and long life. Zipp ball bearings are specified to 10 millionths of an inch tolerance, guaranteeing that they are at least 2.5 times rounder and better matched than most company's "high precision" balls, and more than five times tighter than most "precision" balls.
- 11 speed compatible
- This wheelset is not tubeless compatible.
- Use 20mm rim tape with this wheelset.
- Max recommended rider weight - 250lbs
- Hub Used - 188/V9
- Rim Depth - 45mm
- Brake Track Width (center) - 26.40mm
- Max Width - 28.50mm
- Clincher Bead Width - 17.25mm
- Spoke Count - 24
- Spoke Length Non-Drive - 264mm
- Spoke Pattern Non-Drive - 2 cross
- Spoke Pattern Drive - 2 cross
- Spoke Length Drive - 262mm
- Max Tire Pressure - 125psi
- Max Tire Pressure - 8.62 bars
- 11-speed compatible hub - Yes
- Track Adaptable - No
- Dimpled Surface - Yes
- Ceramic Bearing - Aftermarket
- External Nipples - Yes
- Weight - 870g