ALL KINDS OF FAST
The 808 changed perceptions about deep-section wheels and it didn’t take long before Zipp riders discovered that the 808’s light weight, responsiveness, and solid handing are ideally suited not just to time trials and triathlons, but to hilly bike legs, criteriums, field sprints and long days off the front of the peloton. Now, with the new Firecrest® rim shape, the Zipp 808 Firecrest Tubular Bicycle Wheel has improved in almost every metric. In fact, the 808 Firecrest is the fastest front wheel Zipp’s ever tested.
- Firecrest – The 808 Firecrest rim’s 27.5 mm-wide profile is 15 seconds faster than before. With its wider profile, the latest 808 Firecrest Tubular also shows improved lateral stiffness for efficient power transfer and crisp acceleration, yet offers greater comfort and impact resistance than its predecessor. Yet it still remains stable. The 808 Firecrest rim provides the speed of a much deeper rim with the handling of a much shallower one. On windy non-disc-legal course like Kona, that counts for a lot.
- ABLC™ - Advanced Boundary Layer Control (ABLC) refers to the patented and instantly recognizable dimpled pattern found on all of Zipp’s carbon rims. ABLC smoothes airflow across the rim's surface and is tailored to every model. The third-generation of ABLC has up to four times more dimples than before.
- VCLC™ - Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control uses a vibration-absorbing material sandwiched between layers of rigid carbon laminate in the rim. When the wheel receives an impact from the road, much of the shock is absorbed by the VCLC system, delivering a 10% reduction in vibration.
- Carbon Bridge - Carbon Bridge uses a Kevlar® thread in a co-axial helix stitch to bind sheets of carbon to each other in Zipp’s tubular rims. Because Kevlar is 350% more impact resistant than carbon, it can disperse shock more evenly throughout the carbon laminate, making for a rim that is practically bulletproof.
- 88 Front Hub – Every aspect of the 88 Front Hub sets a new benchmark. The standard steel bearings are the roundest in the industry. The 17mm axle is the stiffest of any road hub tested. When it comes to precision and performance, there's really no comparison.
- Rim decals are borderless, thinner and lighter
- Color: Matte Black Decals
- Max Recommended Rider Weight: 250 lbs
- Wheel Weight: 735 g
- Hub Used: 88 Front Hub
- Rim Depth: 82 mm
- Brake Track Width (center): 26.04 mm
- Max Width: 27.5 mm
- Spoke Count: 18
- Spoke Pattern: Radial
- Spoke Length: 224 mm
- Track Adaptable: Yes
- Dimpled Surface: Yes
- Ceramic Bearing: After-market
- External Nipples: Yes
RECOMMENDED AND APPROVED BRAKE PADS
These brake pads have been tested and approved for use with Zipp Tubular wheels. Having the wrong pads, or worn pads, can be dangerous and potentially void your wheel’s warranty.
- Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro Evo Brake Pad
- Zipp Tangente High Performance Cork Brake Pad
- Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro (first version Tangente pad)
- SwissStop® Black Prince pad
- Bontrager cork pads
- Zipp carbon/carbon pads
- SwissStop® yellow pads