Zipp's first full-carbon clincher wheel, the 404 Firecrest Carbon Clincher Bicycle Wheel, has been described as the most heavily anticipated wheelset of all time.
Its Firecrest aero profile is the first deep-profile carbon clincher design to offer the superior aerodynamics, ride quality, strength and handling of a wider rim body. Yet the 404 Firecrest Carbon Clincher weighs just 1,615 grams per set, putting it among the lightest deep-profile carbon clinchers available. Designed specifically to account for the differences in airflow patterns between clincher tires and tubulars, the 404 Firecrest Carbon Clincher far exceeds the aero performance of any other clincher wheelset in its class. A wider rim offers greater vertical compliance for control and comfort on rough surfaces while increasing lateral stiffness for sprinting and cornering. The hook beads are farther apart, making the tire itself take on a more stable shape without adding rolling resistance.
- Firecrest - With the new proprietary Firecrest rim shape in Zipp's 202, 303, 404 and 808 Firecrest wheels, Zipp wheels make a bigger difference in more ways than ever. Not only is Firecrest more aerodynamic than any other rim design, it improves handling in crosswinds and overall ride quality.
- Carbon Clincher - The superior Carbon Clincher technology is the culmination of two years of intensive prototyping and testing. Zipp worked with their composites supplier to develop an exclusive heat-resistant resin based on the materials used in motorsports brake systems. This proprietary technology improves heat management so substantially that all Zipp Carbon Clinchers pass stringent CEN safety standards.
- ABLC™ (Aerodynamic Boundary Layer Control) - Advanced Boundary Layer Control (ABLC) refers to the patented and instantly recognizable dimpled pattern found on all of our carbon rims. ABLC smoothes airflow across the rim's surface and is tailored to every model from the 202 to the Super-9 Disc. The third-generation of ABLC has up to four times more dimples than before.
- VCLC™ (Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control) - Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control (VCLC) uses a vibration-absorbing material sandwiched between layers of rigid carbon laminate in the rim. When the wheel receives an impact from the road, much of the shock is absorbed by the VCLC system, delivering a 10% reduction in vibration.
- 88/188 Hub Technology - Every aspect of Zipp's 88 and 188 hubs sets a new benchmark. The standard steel bearings are the roundest in the industry. The 17mm axle is the stiffest of any road hub that's been tested. The wire EDM-cut hub internals are the most precise. When it comes to precision and performance, there's really no comparison.
- Wire EDM - Electron Discharge Machining allows Zipp to cut the materials for their rear hub drive internals after they've been hardened through heat treating, negating the warping and imprecision caused by the heat-treating process.
- Steel Bearings - Zipp is the only company specifying Swiss made highly specialized ball bearing cartridges. Working with a family owned Swiss bearing manufacturer, Zipp is able to attain a superior level of bearing smoothness and long life. The ball bearings are specified to 10 millionths of an inch tolerance, guaranteeing that they are at least 2.5 times rounder and better matched than most company's "high precision" balls, and more than five times tighter than most "precision" balls.
- This wheelset is not tubeless compatible.
- Use 20mm rim tape with this wheelset.
- Max recommended rider weight - 250lbs
- Hub Used - 88
- Rim Depth - 58mm
- Brake Track Width (center) - 24.73mm
- Max Width - 26.53mm
- Clincher Bead Width - 16.25mm
- Spoke Count - 18
- Spoke Pattern - Radial
- Spoke Length - 246mm
- Max Tire Pressure - 125psi
- Max Tire Pressure - 8.62bars
- Track Adaptable - Yes
- Dimpled Surface - Yes
- Ceramic Bearing - Aftermarket
- External Nipples - Yes
- Weight - 720g